Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Thunderbox!

Back-packing was a success. I am now a tough, rugged individual who is somehow able to carry a 30-40 lb. pack every day for a week without breaking down... That fact is likely due to the awesome, all-around supportiveness of my team: Thunderbox!
We named ourselves after the large, port-a-potty-like wooden boxes that are placed near each campsite in Algonquin Park in lieu of outhouses. This name became particularly amusing after we lost our toilet kit following our first day in the wild... Oops. Leaves began to serve a new, very practical use.
Every day, we packed up camp and hiked several kilometres to a new location. By the end of the trip, our group of ten scholars and two guides had become very close - I suppose this is inevitable after a week of no showers, copious sweating, and nothing to do on the trails but talk. But inevitable or not, I am so very thankful to have gotten to know all of the incredible people on my team. On the last night, we shared "warm fuzzies", where each person writes something encouraging to every person on the team, and then all of the pieces of paper go in a hat, and are read aloud around the campfire. I already miss these inspiring, hilarious people! Hahaha, I honestly can't remember if I've ever spent so much time laughing with a group before.
(This isn't our full group; D, another scholar going to McGill, is taking the picture.)

Then came the retreat. We joined up with the other two groups of ten scholars and took a looooong bus ride to the retreat centre where the upper year scholars and CMSF (Canadian Merit Scholarship Foundation) staff greeted us, repulsively smelly and unwashed though we were. (As a side note, we weren't allowed to shower until AFTER dinner... It felt like a bizarre initiation process, eating with all of these clean, older, impressive scholars.) The following three days were filled with workshops, conferences, and time to become acquainted with our fellow Loranians. The workshops resulted in me breathing a huge sigh of relief, because CMSF staff constantly reminded us that this award is an investment in who they believe us to be as people; they want us to call them and talk when we struggle, be it with our school and community involvements, or academics. We don't have to put on an impressive façade 24/7. Or ever, really.
As for the other scholars, well, a good many of them cause me to marvel, and though their accomplishments sometimes leave me feeling lacking, I feel truly honoured to be included in the Loran family with them. I've come home more motivated and inspired than ever. And now it's time to take this motivation with me to Montréal!

No comments:

Post a Comment