Pages

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Bienvenue à Montréal

So, here I am. In Montréal. It is past midnight here, and while most often that is a perfectly reasonable time to be up for every growing young adult, tonight I need sleep, for tomorrow I am going to begin the crazy process that is moving in, becoming an official McGill student (aka, one with an ID), and performing countless little tasks that are hard to list off but will easily fill a day. And I'm waking up early to begin it all.
Montréal is overwhelming. Beautiful, but more overwhelming than I remember it being, probably because I keep imagining myself having to navigate the streets alone, when simply being around all of the ridiculously tall buildings confuses me. I feel like a small town girl, even though my hometown is one of the largest cities in my province! I felt disoriented this evening, but I'm hoping that that changes for the better tomorrow. There are just so many streets! And I realized that I'm not going to be able to see the stars for quite some time; this fills me with a pretty deep sadness, and if that is cause for grief, I'd better not even think about how hard it was to say good-bye to my friends and family, especially T, since I don't know when I'll get to see her again....
But I won't let this drag on into a pity session, because it really IS exciting to be here, surrounded by French and gorgeous historic architecture and thousands of adventures to be had! Though at the moment, it is time for sleep, so that those adventures don't involve me collapsing in front of a gorgeous historic building trying to mutter in French that I've fallen and I can't get up.

2 comments:

  1. Heeheeeee, speaking on behalf of Montreal - I'm glad you're in Montreal!! I know this is an older post, but I hope you feel as though you've had adventures since you've been here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw shucks! Haha it's fun reading this again after being here for a while. I definitely have been having some adventures, many good ones, AND I can navigate the streets now!! Plus I've met so many amazing people, including you my wonderful friend :) I can't wait for more years here to come!

    ReplyDelete