Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2011

One of the stranger things that happened today.

Don't get your hopes up though - it's not crazy exciting or anything!

Somebody posted a link on Facebook, and it was for a product at Urban Outfitters. So I clicked the link. Here, you try it: http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/. Did it work? Because GUESS WHAT. Apparently, due to the Charter of the French Language (aka Bill 101), we folks stationed out here in La Belle Province aren't allowed to visit the site, because it's not yet offered in French. Intéressant. So what's an Anglophone girl to do? This is actually funny. It's not as if I were a hardcore online shopper or any such thing, but what if I was? And what if I fancied shopping online at urbanoutfitters.com? Well I wouldn't be able to! I thought that the internet was a place of freedom, at least in Canada. But I'm not allowed to enter the website simply because of my geographical situation while using the internet. I suppose Québec is an exception in this as in so many other things.

Obviously this isn't that big of a deal in how it affects my Urban Outfitters website visiting, but it came as a bit of a surprise to me. It makes me wonder what other sites are off-limits because they're not offered in French...

2 comments:

  1. That same thing happened to me when I bought my shoes! Rachel actually found them for me, hah. Because she lives in the States. So I went to the store in Montreal to see if the had them, and the didn't. So I ordered them from Toronto! And it wasn't expensive. So if you want to go take a trip, it's closest to Lucien l'Allier metro. Bring gym clothes because that station is like half way to the core of the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha no way! Go figure. Well I don't particularly need anything from there at the moment... I more just thought that it was so weird to not be allowed access to a website because it wasn't offered in French!! But I will keep the gym clothes tip in mind if ever I happen to venture down that way ;)

    ReplyDelete